Friday, June 8, 2012

Philly Journal May 2, 2012


May 2, 2012

Today was a challenge. I woke up with great expectations for the day. But when I woke up I realized that it was not only raining, but also about 55 degrees. For the fact that I packed flip-flops and shorts I knew I was in for a long day. I mention it now because it was in my mind the entire time, and often it consumed my thought process rather than enjoying the Old City District of Philadelphia.
            We arrived in the Old City to have breakfast at a place called Double Shots. I had a decent latte, nothing to brag about and nothing to complain about, but Jess’ breakfast sandwich was great. (Bacon Gouda, egg, on a croissant panini style.)
            Afterward we went to Christ Church, and learned they ordained the first African American priest. Also it has the some land off of 5th and Arch where there is a small cemetery. We threw pennies on Benjamin Franklin’s final resting place, which is locally known to bring good luck.
            Then we traveled all across the Independence National Historic Mall. I saw the first president’s house, Independence Hall, and the Liberty Bell. I really feel that the Liberty Bell stands for a lot more than I realized. I also learned that the bell has been cast three separate times. After the liberty bell was Independence Hall. It was everything I dreamt of. The room was about the size I thought, but it was wider than I expected if that makes sense. Kind of like when you know the Grand Canyon is going to overwhelm you, but you don't realize how much until you actually see it. Something the tour guide really emphasized was the faith the  men that drafted the Declaration of Independence. At the time they did not know they were going to win the war, or even if their neighbors were on their side. If they lost the signature on that document sealed their death sentence. Fortunately for them, the Philadelphians, and me they won the war.
            Afterward we were able to go to City Tavern. This tavern provides gourmet meals with a colonial style menu. Jess and I experienced a rabbit based meal with mixed greens, and pasta.
            When we were done at City Tavern we walked around in the bitter cold, or at least it felt bitter after leaving the warm candle lit restaurant we traveled just off the Delaware River. We went into this amazing candy shop. I felt like I walked into a Willy Wonka shop, it was called “Shane Confectionery”. The men were dressed like in the olden days, and everything is hand made…little white gloves and all. While there we picked up a few things and even tasted chocolate covered bacon. It was an interesting taste that focused on the bitter salty taste of bacon and pure cocoa. I found in interesting and I would try it again, but would never make it a thing to buy; it was more novelty.
            Also while in Old City we saw the Betsy Ross house, honestly it was nothing too crazy so shortly we got on the SEPTA and went down to the Italian Market. While there we walked down the streets from the previous day, but this time we were there while shops were open. Jess and I went this store called Claudio. They are straight up ITALIAN! This guy was the best New Yorker I think I have ever met, or maybe he was just straight Italian, I couldn’t tell, but he was funny as all get out. We bought some hand made Pasta, and some of the best cheese I have ever put into my body.
            After a short trip at Italian Market we jumped back on the SEPTA and headed back to Old City. We ate at Farmicia, a place the owner of Chapterhouse recommended, and to tell you the truth it could be the best meal I have ever eaten. Braised duck in this super awesome sauce was the main protein dish. My starch was this perfectly balanced wild rice, barley, corn like grain, and a toasted pumpkin seeds concoction. It was the perfect mad scientist dish. Not to mention the killer snap pea side dish that really lifted everything up so it was not to be too heavy. To be honest I think that was the best meal of my life. The crazy part is Jess had Seared Yellow Fin Tuna; including Soda, Fancy Mango tea, and tip (22%) we walked out without spending over $100.
            All in all the day was amazing. I only wish I had worn jeans and tennis shoes. That way I could have been warm and really enjoyed my time in Philadelphia to the max.

Benny Grave Site

A man that volunteers and is "the first circus owner of the US." The real guy and Washington were dear friends

The room where they signed the Declaration of Independence

Second US Bank

First US Bank

City Tavern

Jess had a blast at that place

No comments:

Post a Comment