Friday, June 8, 2012

Philly May 5th


May 5, 2012
            Today was our last day in Philadelphia. It is hard to believe that it has only been four days so far. I feel like I have seen so much, but the more I explore the more I realize that I am barely scratching the surface. Every coffee shop, every bakery, every nook that the Old City or South East Side have to offer is still waiting for me to either return, or find. I can easily say there are over hundred places on South Street in just ten blocks that I want to go to.
            Today Jess and I woke up early and packed, and thankfully the hotel held onto our luggage allowing us to move a bit easier in the city. We started off at Chapterhouse. It is such great coffee that it is hard to resist. Afterward we walked down 9th street, I think this is our favorite part of town, and if we were to move to Philly I think this would be the neighborhood. All the streets are lined with beautiful houses like I have never seen. Built with brick, skinny, and three stories tall with a basement.
            We reached the Italian market and by this time it was noon, thanks to Jess and all her slow packing…and me sleeping in, but we had made it. We stopped at Sarcone’s and shared a slice of pizza that rivals any I have ever had. Once we were done we continued our final trek through the market. We stopped and had some amazing cheese and sausage at Claudio’s. We also had some Gelato while walking through the market. I mention the Gelato because a little girl scooped it for us, and it reminded me how much this town is about family, history, and loyalty.
            After some “purchases” Jess and I went over to Jim’s. Most locals told us that they prefer Jim’s cheese steak rather than Pat’s or Geno’s. We were able to see that when we got there and saw the line out door and around the corner. After an hour wait we got our cheese steak with wizz, mushrooms, and sweet peppers. Jess loved it and made me know for a fact that Jim’s was her favorite. But, just like the city’s loyalty, I am staying loyal to Pat’s. Shortly after Jim’s we hit the subway and back to the hotel.
            Now I sit on an airplane; thinking about my trip and realize how much more I really loved Philly than I thought. I know this sounds a bit radical, but I felt like I always was supposed to go there, and I feel like Jess and I really just blend well in the city. Perhaps, in the future, I will write about Philadelphia not as a tourist, but as a resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment