Friday, June 8, 2012

Philly Journal May 1st (It took me long enough)


May 1st, 2012

Wow. Today was my first day in Philly, the City of Brotherly Love. Jess and I landed at the airport late due to a full flight at 4:45, but no doubt we were determined to pack in as much in before our bodies shut down from walking, plane flights, and crazy cab drivers. Once we checked into our hotel I began looking up addresses and aligning them to a map so we can fit in as much in a day without having to go back and forth in the city. We were given a small buffet at the hotel, but it was probably for people going to the Flyer playoff game.
            We got on a subway and I think it was actually my first subway experience. It was about what I thought it would be. Something to note is that the kindest people we met were public transport people…and this crazy black guy on the subway; he hates cherry peppers and loves Geno’s. That was our first stop. We got off the Orange sub line and traveled across Ellsworth down to 9th street. This street was fantastic. I could barely hold in my excitement. I had dreamt of coming to this city for five years at least, just for the food and culture, and ever since 10th grade I wanted to come here for the history. We walked the streets and found Geno’s Cheese Steak on 9th across the street from Pat’s. I have to be honest Geno’s was bland and not note worthy at all. I feel that they stand on the shoulders of Pat’s for their fame. Pat’s was up next. Jess and I split a cheese steak from each place, and we were worried that Pat’s would fall short as well. I know Jess isn’t a cheese steak fan, but the creamy cheese wizz, salty steak, chopped onions, smokey mushrooms all crammed in the softest hoagie bun I have ever felt was amazing. It was similar to that moment when you first have at In and Out, or first time you go to Starbucks it is nothing more that something to tweet about, but as times goes on the more you need to go back and eat two there, and order one for the road.
            After the best 1000 calories in about five bites were gone Jess and I traveled up 9th street up the Italian Market. We got just north of Fitzwater and we arrived at our caffeine and wifi haven. Chapterhouse is possibly the best coffee shop atmosphere I have ever experienced. The owners were there behind the bar making drinks and very helpful. They even let their dog hang out in the open cafĂ© that had three rooms, front porch, and back porch. Something to note about Chapterhouse is what Jess ordered…A neutella latte. I think we would be willing to go back to that place just for the coffee, atmosphere, and people. Compared to this place Starbucks has lost their edge with the “4th place”. 
            An hour or so at the coffee shop Jess and I walked back to the sub station and went back to our hotel, and did I mention it is literally across the street from Citizen Bank Park. Tomorrow we will hit the Independence Historical Park. Things included Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Christ Church, and City Tavern. Tomorrow will be a full day with many pictures, and much more to write about.






Pat's King of Steaks
            

No comments:

Post a Comment