Friday, July 29, 2011

The Salt Lick

There are times in a man's life that are monumental. The first time he kisses a girl, first time he gets in a fight, his first drink with his dad...etc. well I had a monumental moment last weekend. Jess and I were in San Antonio, and we were visiting Kelly and Eddie, Jess' aunt and uncle. So we get down there on Saturday morning after waking up before the sun and drive for a bit. Needless to say we stopped at Starbucks to get caffeinated.
So we get to SATX and we hang out with Kelly and Eddie and their kids and needless to say we hang out with Joey and Ashley (Eddie's son that just got engaged). And we eat some Vietnam food called "pho" which is rice noodles with some beef in a broth. That's when we get around to driving back up to Austin. Why? Don't I always tell you people why? So we get to Austin to meet some other relatives of Jess. Her Uncle Sean and Aunt Carol and their kids. We hang out at there for a bit and then we decided to go to this place called "The Salt Lick". I heard that Sean and Carol had their reception here and this makes me to believe this is a upper class steak joint. I was wrong....Kinda

We drive maybe ten minutes down a road near Sean's house (which is not really in Austin, it's more like on a farm) and we get to the Salt Lick. And this BBQ place has a vineyard. I don't know what kinda BBQ places you go to, but this was a first for me. This place is in the middle of nowhere and the amount of cars out number Paris Military.....ok bad example. but needless to say there are a ton of people here. And we sit down. Sean comes and tells us it's going to be an hour wait. No big deal. They make lemonade on site. Like serious squeeze lemons into a cup, sugar, water...booyah achieved lemonade! Now the place is doesn't serve booze, but it was BYOB, so that didn't stop many members of our group from having a fun time. An hour of picture taking, dancing to the live music, and making faces as Jade (Sean and Carol's daughter). We go into this cabin like building and we see this grill covered with ribs, chunks of brisket, and sausage links hanging above the flames. That's when it hit me, this place does not mess around with food. We sit down and after ordering a 4 meat dish for myself my food comes out. Nearly falling off the plate is by far the most tender and moist brisket that has ever entered my presents. It's sweet soft taste on my palate offset by the sharp mustard BBQ sauce. Then the links. Nothing can explain sweet, spicing, and enticing like these sausage links can, after that I start shoveling potato salad in my mouth as fast as my hands can get it there. I am in culinary-utopia. After about 4 spoon fulls of potatoes I realize there is a  pork rib on my plate. After one bite, followed by me inhaling the rest of the tender meat covered in sauce there was no longer a rib on my plate. It took us a whole 30 minutes to eat our dinner. Mainly because there was so much food. I will never forget the amazing food that I ate that night. A lot of places I have taken people, or vice-versa  the second time around the food was not that great. But Jess didn't stop talking about this place once we left SATX on our way to Austin, and I see why.


 
Carol and Jade




Jade camera happy

Sean and Luke Soaking up the live tunes

Kelly and Taylor

Luke was trying to meet some ladies, we had to restrain him. :)


Austin, I thought you would like this one the best.

I wasn't lying

They are serious about food

I was overwhelmed.

Jess and I pre-BBQ Sauce

Eddie this is the only picture of you we had from this event.




2 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this blog entry. I saw the picture of you two at The Salt Lick and I knew there would be something to say. This is a very famous sight for foodies. My healthy food habits would definitely go on hold if I came within a hundred miles of that place. I'm glad to know its as good as all the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that place!! I'm so jealous right now. :(

    ReplyDelete